Steve Bannon set for a long battle in contempt case

0
39

Donald Trump ally Steve Bannon is set for a long battle ahead of his criminal trial for refusing to provide documents to House investigators probing the events related to the 2020 election.

The Jan. 6 select committee believes that Bannon communicated with Trump in events related to Jan. 6 rally.

It was believed that Trump instructed Bannon and his allies to stop cooperating with the Jan. 6 select committee. The allies must have believed that they are immune from subpoenas.

Bannon faces two misdemeanor charges of contempt of Congress. One is related to the refusal while the other is the failure to deliver documents to the House panel.

The maximum possible sentence, in this case, is one year in prison and a fine of up to $100,000.

One week ago, Bannon surrendered to authorities and appeared in federal court. It was after three days after Bannon was indicted by a grand jury on two counts of contempt of Congress.

The tough action against Bannon will serve as a warning to those who are defying the panel’s request for information.

“We’re going to go on the offense on this. Every progressive, every liberal in this country that likes freedom of speech and liberty, OK, should be fighting for this case,” he told reporters outside the courthouse.

Last month, the 67-year old Bannon declined last to comply with subpoenas from the House select committee that sought testimony and documents. Later, the House voted to hold Bannon in criminal contempt of Congress and referred the matter to the Justice Department.

Bannon was released without bail after surrendering to federal authorities in Washington, D.C.

Bannon, who has surrendered his passport, agreed not to obtain any other international travel documents.

Bannon will be subject to general supervision requirements as part of the conditions of his release, Magistrate Judge Robin Meriweather said during Bannon’s brief initial appearance.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here