Joel Hans Embiid is a professional basketball player from Cameroon who plays for the Philadelphia 76ers of the National Basketball Association. He was born on March 16, 1994. (NBA). In the 2014 NBA draught, the 76ers chose him with the third pick. He played college basketball for the Kansas Jayhawks for one season.
Multiple injuries to his feet and knees kept him from making his debut for two years until 2016–17 when he was named to the NBA All-Rookie First Team even though he played only 31 games. When he played in the NBA, Embiid was an NBA All-Star five times.
He also made the All-NBA Team, and he was a member of the All-Defensive Team three times. He has called himself “the Process” because 76ers fans told them to “trust the process” during the time of Sam Hinkie.
It was in the 2021–22 NBA season that Embiid became the first center since Shaquille O’Neal (2000) to lead the league in points. He also became the first center since Moses Malone (1982) to average more than 30 points per game, and he was the first foreign player to lead the league in points.
View this post on Instagram
|Full Name:||Joel Hans Embiid|
|Nickname:||Jojo; The Process|
|Born:||March 16, 1994 (age 25)|
|Place of Birth:||Yaoundé, Cameroon|
|Current Team:||Philadelphia 76ers|
|Net Worth:||$35 million|
|Height:||7 feet 0 inches|
|Weight:||250 lb (113 kg)|
|Education:||The Rock School; Kansas University|
|Parents:||Thomas Embiid (father), Christine Embiid (mother)|
|Siblings:||Arthur Embiid; Muriel Embiid|
|Partner:||Anne de Paula (girlfriend)|
An officer of the military and his wife were both born in Yaoundé, Cameroon. The first thing he did when he was a child was playing volleyball and soccer.
He wanted to be a professional volleyball player in Europe, but he started playing basketball at the age of 15, and he tried to play like NBA Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon.
An NBA player who was born in Yaounde found Embiid at an NBA basketball camp. He was also born in Yaounde. With Mbah a Moute as his coach, Embiid moved to the United States when he was 16 years old to become a professional basketball player in the United States.
View this post on Instagram
- Embiid went to the University of Kansas for a year. he was one of 30 people who were up for Naismith College Player of the Year on February 13, 2014. In 2013–14, he played 28 games, averaging 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists, and 2.6 blocks in 23.1 minutes per game.
- He also played a lot of minutes. Seven times, he scored more than 15 points and blocked more than 5 shots. After that, he was named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and was named second-team All-Big 12.
- In March of 2014, Embiid broke his back because of stress. He didn’t make it to the Big 12 tournament or the NCAA tournament that year because he was sick. A round of 32 is called a “second round.” Kansas lost in the second round, which is called the “Round of 32.”
On April 9, 2014, Embiid said he was going to play for the NBA in the 2014 draught. He didn’t play his last three years of college. His right foot was broken and he had surgery on June 20, 2014. He was out for four to six months.
Six days later, the Philadelphia 76ers took him with the third pick in the draught. That made him the third Cameroonian-born NBA player, after Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje and Luc Mbah a Moute. He was also the highest-selected player from Cameroon, making him the third NBA player from Cameroon.
Philadelphia 76ers (2014–present)
- Embiid went to the NBA draught in 2014, even though he was injured. Embiid went to the draught, which meant he had to give up his last three years of college. Embiid was chosen third overall by Philadelphia just six days after he was in the draught.
- This made him the third and highest Cameroonian player in the NBA. Embiid didn’t play in the NBA for two years because of an injury to his foot.
- Because of how long it took him to get better, he was supposed to start in the 2015/16 season. That didn’t happen until October 4, 2016. He played his first game for the Philadelphia 76ers against the Boston Celtics in a pre-season game on October 4, 2016.
- Embiid looked like he was ready for his long-awaited debut when he scored 6 points, grabbed 4 rebounds, and blocked 2 shots in 13 minutes of play. His first game of the regular season was even better. He scored 20 points, had 7 rebounds, and blocked two shots in 25 minutes of play against the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Embiid kept up the good work that earned him the Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month awards for October and November. In December, he did it again. In January 2017, he was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Month and the Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month for the month. For the 2017 Rising Stars Challenge, he was also chosen to be on the World team.
- It’s bad that Embiid couldn’t play in any of the All-Star Weekend events in 2017 because he had a torn meniscus in his left knee. He had an operation in March and it went well, but the rest of the season was over. He was named to the 2017 NBA All-Rookie First Team, but he had to miss the rest of it.
- For $148 million, Embiid agreed to sign with the Philadelphia 76ers. All-NBA first or second, second, or third team, or MVP in the 2017/18 season: Embiid could earn an extra $30 million with this deal. Embiid kept up with his impressive form. He was chosen to start for the All-Star Game in 2018. He went on to be named Eastern Conference Player of the Week in January and February.
- He broke his left eye in a game against the New York Knicks on March 28. A few days after the accident, he had surgery. Players like Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O’Neal, and Ralph Sampson did this in their first 100 games. Embiid did this in the 2918/19 season, joining the likes of these other players who did this.
- Embiid kept up with his good form even though he was hurt. The Philadelphia 76ers made it to the playoffs, but they lost to the Toronto Raptors, so they didn’t get to play again. Embiid was sick during the second round of the playoffs, so he didn’t play very well.
View this post on Instagram
National Team Career
Embiid can play for the Cameroon national basketball team. There will be a group qualifier for the 2017 FIBA AfroBasket, which will be in the Republic of Congo, during the NBA season in March.
On February 7, 2017, Embiid was chosen to play in the preliminary group. It would be great for Joel, our team, and our country if he played for Cameroon in the NBA. Embiid did not play for Cameroon at the 2017 AfroBasket.
Joel Embiid Net Worth
People who play basketball for the NBA have a net worth of $35 million Joel Embiid is from Cameroon and plays for the New York Knicks. Cameroon was the place where Joel Embiid was born in March 1994, so he was born there.
At The Rock School in Gainesville, Florida, he was a 7’0″ center who played for the team He played college basketball for Kansas, where he was named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year in 2014. He was also named to the Big 12 All-Defensive Team, the Big 12 All-Newcomer Team, and the Second-team All-Big 12, as well.
Joel Embiid was chosen by the Philadelphia 76ers as the third-best player in the 2014 NBA Draft. Because he was a rookie in 2017, he was named to the NBA All-Rookie First Team.
All-NBA Second Team Embiid made the All-NBA Second Team and the All-Defense Second Team in 2018. In 2017, he signed a five-year deal with Philadelphia worth $196 million, with the option to earn an extra $30 million in incentives over the five years.
As part of his new five-year deal with the Philadelphia 76ers in 2017, Embiid agreed to pay the team $178 million. His salary for this year is $31,579,381. This means that he is now the third highest-paid center in the league, which makes him even more valuable.
The 76ers have made sure that they have their star player signed up for a long time. Philly has given Embiid a four-year deal worth about $196 million.